Monday, January 19, 2015

Book Club vs Wine Club

What do you do when you have a book club that simply wont read a book?


   That's the question I keep asking myself. When I first started asking my friends if they wanted to create a book club and they all immediately jumped on board, I was excited! Now I am learning that they were more interested in the hanging out portion rather than the reading portion.
   From one side I'm ecstatic. My main goal in creating this book club was to get some of my friends together all at one time and prevent the space that is slowly growing between us over time. For that reason, it's perfect. We get together, drink wine, gossip and just have fun. But that's more of a  relaxed wine club. I want to share my love of books with my friends. I want to have someone to turn to and talk to about this heart gripping experience I just went through at the hands of a paper back.
   What do you do? How do you get a group of 23-25 year old's to take time away from their days and pick up a book. I don't yet have that answer, but I will let you in on my thoughts.
  • Make it fun. (Plan events. Host meetings in different locations.)
  • Keeping them interested. ( I need to find something that separates reading for school from reading for fun)
  • Staying Informed. (I have created a fb group, but we need a better way to notify about events.)
  • Make a schedule. (obviously people aren't going to be able to commit every time, but if they know when it is then they can try to plan around it.)
Those are a few of my brain storming thoughts right now. I will try to apply it and let you know how it goes! Keeping my fingers crossed!
-D

No comments:

Post a Comment