Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Book Talk Tuesday- Far From Home

Far From Home (Home, #2)   So, today I am talking strictly about book two of the Home Series. Far From Home is such a good book! It's had me on ups and downs and I keep getting so sucked into the characters problems. Normally I would have already finished this book by now, but I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off lately. We have been busy at work with a bunch of new employees to train, at home we've been decorating for Halloween and partaking in the good ol' Halloween festivities and so on and so forth. But I digress. Today is not about me and what I've done, no, today is about this book and what it has done to me.
What is it about?
   When Riley Regas moved from Boston to the small town of Carver, Kansas, she never expected the turn her life would take. She never thought she could be happy in Carver, especially after the betrayal she endured at the hands of someone she thought she loved. She was wrong. It’s been six months since everything changed. Six months since Jesse stepped in and saved her. Six months since she realized she’d been in love with Jesse all along. Six months of happiness and Riley can’t wait to take the next step in her life with Jesse at her side. But one night changes everything and the life she envisioned with Jesse is turned upside down.
Jesse has always been there for Riley, and now it’s her turn to be there for him. Will the love they fought so hard to find be strong enough to see them through this or will it ultimately tear them apart?
What I thought?
   Bravo to Megan Nugen Isbell, she makes such relatable characters it's difficult not to get sucked right in. In Far From Home, you experience loss, heartbreak, emotional situations beyond belief. These characters are only 18 and the situations they have been thrown into are so extreme.
Spoilers coming- Jesse's dad is all he has, his mom left when he was a toddler and besides his uncle, its just him and his father. In a tragic car accident, Jesse's uncle is sent to the hospital and his dad is dead on impact. Jesse, who just became a legal adult, is now on his own to deal with the house, the bills, his fathers business, and not to mention his own life. He's about to leave for school in a few months, how is he supposed to take care of all of this and go to classes? Jesse's struggle with his depression and how it affects his relationships are the main focuses in this book. First he pushes everyone away (including Riley, the girl he fought so hard to get.) Then he gets jealous when she hangs out with male friends. Its a constant up and down struggle. He tries to numb himself by drinking and only manages to make things worse. At what point is "sorry" not enough?
   Now if you happened to read my previous post about imagination you would see what an impact Jesse and Rileys relationship and struggles have had on me. I not only start crying at the situations they are forced to deal with, but get angry at the world around me for not understanding how sad this story is. I'm still only about halfway through, so I may send out another update on this book once I finish, but as of right now I love it!
-D

No comments:

Post a Comment