Thursday, October 23, 2014

Pumpkins on the Brain- Check out the "Teal Pumpkin Project"


I LOVE PUMPKINS!
This morning I got my pumpkin spice latte, I'm currently eating my roasted and salted pumpkin seeds and I am looking up ideas for how I want to carve my pumpkin.

Without fail this time of year I always go a little pumpkin crazy, but I feel like this year is topping them all. I'm starting to wonder if all of those "basic white girl" posts from Buzzfeed are true. Haha! Granted I know its not just a thing I'm into or simply a girl thing, I'm surrounded by pumpkin loving people. My best friends licence plate is a playful abbreviation that says pumpkin spice and one of my brothers is completely obsessed with pumpkins as well. I swear Kevin could list every kind of pumpkin anything and he would sound like Bubba on a shrimp tangent. It would take days!

Now onto a serious note, I came across a really neat idea people are doing this year called the "Teal Pumpkin Project".According to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, finding candy treats on Halloween without the harmful allergy tricks is becoming more and more a challenge. Kids allergic to nuts have to be careful with candy bars, if they are allergic to milk they can't have chocolate, and kids allergic to soy or eggs have a frightening Halloween as well. With this project we are making things a little bit easier for them and hopefully a lot more fun! What you do is paint a pumpkin teal to let parents know that your house also offers non-food treats like whistles, stickers, bubbles, all that fun jazz and make their trick or treating a little less scary. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for spooky Halloweens, but allergies is one thing I do not play around with. Ryan and I will definitely be partaking in this project this year! If you don't want to paint a pumpkin you can also print out a flyer from this link and display it in a window or something!

Want to paint a pumpkin but don't know how?? Here's a link to wikihow that will give you step by step instructions for making your teal pumpkin as perfect as possible!

Update! I made my candy free trick or treat bags for the Teal Pumpkin Project
I am seriously way too excited about this! Now I don't expect a huge amount of kids to come banging down the door for these, but still the option to get them if they need them makes me so happy! In the bags I've included temporary tattoos, erasers, fake vampire teeth and rings! How fun!!
 
Happy Trick or Treating every one! I hope you have a spooktacular Halloween!
-D



No comments:

Post a Comment